The Best Quote for Automotive Enthusiasts

"Cheap and reliable won't be fast,
Fast and cheap won't be reliable,
Fast and reliable won't be cheap."

The terms above...cheap, fast, reliable are all relative terms, meaning they vary from person to person. But I think we can all agree the above is true.

"Cheap and reliable won't be fast."
Example: my 1998 Acura Integra. I bought it in January 2009 as a college student, so could you say it was cheap in price? I think so. Here are some replacement repairs I did besides the regular maintenance items: stuck calipers, trunk actuator, blower motor, thermostat, front wheel bearings. Considering the car is nearly 15 years old (in Feb 2013), I would say the car has been reliable. But is the car fast at 140hp? You tell me. It gets me from A to B reliably.

"Fast and cheap won't be reliable."
Example: any modified car with cheap parts. To avoid controversy, I won't call out any specific vehicle; rather I'll mention that from my experience, cars that are cheaply modified to build 200-300hp more than stock will have reliability issues in the long term. Any car has the potential to be significantly faster than it was stock with any of the following: turbocharger, supercharger and/or engine swap. Besides this there are so many other aspects to take into account such as bigger brakes, good suspension, chassis modifications, wider tires, etc.

"Fast and reliable won't be cheap."
Example: 2013 Porsche 911 Turbo S. Fast? 530hp, 0-60 in 3.1sec from the factory. Reliable? Porsche has been in the top 4 in JD Power and Associates' VDS (Vehicle Dependability Study) for the past 3 years. Cheap? MSRP ~$165,000. If any of you are into cars like me, I think the Porsche should be on everyone's list at some point in their list of attainable dream cars. No other supercar in the same league comes close to the reliability that Porsche has, according to the the VDS mentioned above.


When I start car shopping I start off with these lists:
 

The J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study is used extensively by consumers and car manufacturers. If that isn't enough to help me make my next car decision, I don't know what can!

Source: http://autos.jdpower.com/content/press-release-auto/Q5wPftR/2012-u-s-vehicle-dependability-study.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2008 Lexus IS-F

Rant of The Day: Frigid Northeast Temperatures

Rant of The Day: Social Security